Sunday, 2 January 2011

just for desserts . . .

these dishes belonged to my great granny.  The design is by Alfred Meakin and I think they date from the 1930s or 1940s.  Granny used to play a lot of whist and she may have won them at a whist drive.  We used them on Christmas day.
Whist is a card game, here's the whist drive definition  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whist_drive
When I've been looking through the archives of the local newspaper, whist drives and the winners thereof used to be mentioned regularly as the whist drive was a big part of the village social scene.  It's really nice reading a 1930s newspaper and finding that someone you know won a prize, there used to be a lot of useful/household prizes or cigarettes.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you...I wish i had something like this...I love the simple design!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a whist drive? I suppose I could look it up, but thought I would ask!

    Does Farouk and Persia get to eat out of these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys were still absorbed in the turkey when we were on dessert, but the short answer is no. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...