Saturday, 12 February 2011

Sepia Saturday - Working men

This unmounted photo is from an album I bought some months ago, undated, presumed c1900.  I imagine the men shown to be from the same family, a father and his sons, and based on the other photos/photographers in the album they live in the Black Country (West Midlands).  They look as if they would work in one of the heavy industries in that area and may well have worked in the chain making industry.  It would have been heavy, hard work, long hours, probably for little pay. 
I have found in my own family research that I had relatives working and living in that area at that time, so although these are not my family, no doubt my relatives would have worked and lived and dressed the same way and probably looked similar to this.

This post is part of Sepia Saturday, do check out the other entires here - Sepia Saturday #61.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, they certainly look like hard working men. There was a recent series on the TV based on the Titanic which looked at the chain-making industry in the Midlands and from what I saw, they could certainly have been part of that industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet - with all the hard work they can smile for the picture. It may be the hairy chair that is tickling the young boy into a broad smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great working men indeed and one fine looking young man very happy with life in the center! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the setting of the photo, the stone wall with the ivy, the stones they are standing on and WOW a fur chair. :) Great photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that the one fellow is sitting on a fur covered chair amidst the rocks. Funny and odd. I too got some photos this week of hard working fellas. A series of men who worked at a small private mine. I have to remember to never complain about unloading the dishwasher when I think of the lives of our ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the hardship, there is so much dignity in their stance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard workers, hard life. Respite only comes once and then it is forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look strong and hardworking, but also relaxed and contented. There's something very pleasing about this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are wearing waistcoats which dates the photos well. When is the last time you saw anyone wearing one. I remember my father having one back in the 1940s with a watch chain as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two men on the outside of the pic had shiney shoes, which shows a level of dignity that the young lad sitting in his comfy seat wasn't awarded, or we can't see in the pic :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. They do appear to be anticipating the next job whatever it may be...nice

    ReplyDelete
  12. though you may be quite right about the hardwork as they had that ruggedness, but they do seem quite cheerful. my mom always said hard work wouldn't kill me... they seemed content with their lives, or at least, at that time of the photograph...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always interesting to find photographs of places, people, and situations your ancestors might have been in or close to. Great find! I think the collarless shirts are interesting, with their cuffs. I know the collars were attached separately but I never thought about the cuffs before. I think it gives the shirts an unusual look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...