Friday, 25 February 2011

Thos Miller, Wellingborough

I don't have any Victorian mourning photos, but I thought the reverse of this carte de visite interesting, you can read it as an ad saying that the studio will make copies/enlargements of your existing photos of family members now deceased, but then I thought it could also be read that the studio would undertake death photos. 
Here is the front of the photo, a portrait I find a little strange, the look and I don't know if he is wearing some kind of uniform, but he is alive.

26 Feb edit:  I think I have a mourning photo, I'll scan it and post on my flickr sometime this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. My friend told me about a web site dedicated to mourning photos and once I get the link I will send it to you. Kind of macabre, but fascinating in that it was considered a respectful practice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...