Wednesday, 13 April 2011

April 13th

 1876 was when this postcard was sent to Messrs. M J Rice & Co, at the Smithfield Works, Sherlock Street, Birmingham.  Mr Rice was Matthew James Rice, born in December 1824 in Gloucestershire.  He was an apprentice engineer, and at some time during the 1840s, he moved from Gloucestershire to Birmingham, by 1861 he had his own 'works' and was employing 'one man and one boy'.  He married Mary Ann Newton in 1855, but I haven't found any records of them having children.  They moved from Birmingham to Kenilworth, where he lived until his death in 1897, at the age of 72. 
I don't have any connections to Matthew Rice, maybe I have his photo and don't know it . . . yet.

   
from W Bayliss & Co, Sheepcote Street, Birmingham
"April 13/76
please not to send your men to our place on Good Friday as our works will be closed.  We shall be open on Saturday by 6 a.m. & shall expect you then
please oblige"

Postcard from my collection.

3 comments:

  1. Did you do all that sleuthing yourself? Most impressive! And if it was me I would rather work Friday, Good or Bad, then go to the "works" at 6 a.m. on a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! The earliest postcards I have are all about business too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven - yes, you can see I get easily side-tracked into finding out about people, I like how it adds another dimension to the postcard to get more of a picture (oops) of the people involved.
    Thanks Christine :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...