Friday, 12 August 2011

Eden Street - but was it paradise?

This photo is one of those taken by a 'street/seaside/promenade' photographer which has been put in a little album.  The lady and her children are a mystery as none of the photos in the album have any names.  I would date the photo as being 1920s, the car registration plate is PK 5291, the 'PK' indicates that the car is registered in Preston (Lancs).  On the reverse is written 'Eden Street' and stamped 'Empire Films', Eden Street could be the name of the street shown, or possibly the street where the lady was staying.  I think this is most likely one of the seaside towns, possibly Blackpool or Southport and I have been trying to identify the theatre with the rounded facade.  I can't quite make out the word that precedes 'Theatre' on the building facade, and then it is '____ House', could be picture house or opera house.  I have spent quite a bit of time looking last night and this morning, but haven't really found an answer.  Could this have been the Tivoli Cinema (that became Yates') in Blackpool?  I don't know.  If you recognise where this is, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. We have been to the ornate Grand Theater in Blackpool, and I don't think this is it. I would like to think this family is in Blackpool, though. It's Fun City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a typical "walkie" taken by a street photographer, popular between the wars. Check this out, taken in July 1937 at Clacton.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...