Sunday, 16 October 2011

Sunday Stamps

For today's theme of Asia, I've chosen stamps from Persia/Iran.

Firstly these stamps commemorate the Royal wedding in March 1939 of the Crown Prince of Iran (who later became the Shah) to Princess Fawzia of Egypt (the sister of King Farouk). 

You can see the Pathe News clip here.
This was Mohammed Reza's first marriage, but sadly the couple were not happy and divorced in November of 1948.
These stamps also show the Shah and date from the 1950s and 1960s.


Finally these earlier stamps are of his father, Reza Shah Pahlavi and date from the 1930s.

This post is part of Viridian's Sunday Stamps, you can check out this week's entries by clicking on the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

6 comments:

  1. Wow he flower floats at the wedding were spectacular, guess lavish weddings doesn't mean a happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about posting some stamps showing the Shah similar to those you have posted for the 1950/60s. My album still refers to the country as Persia.
    The royal wedding stamps are great to see even although the marriage didn't last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im usually not fond of stamps where a person is shown on several different stamps in all colours possible (ive seen these a lot in stamps from France, Belgium and UK), but these ones here are so nicely arranged, and showing some history too, that I just cant not like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I recall some of these stamps from my father's collection. I met some people a few years ago who left Persia as it was then - they still think of themselves as Persian.

    I do love the Pathe news clips. They are a great source of information.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...