Thursday, 22 December 2011

Sent From . . .

. . . Germany to the UK in 1938.  So this would have been the last year of Christmas postcards for quite a number of years to come.  I have some Christmas postcards sent from Germany to the UK in 1949 which mention it being the first year that there are Christmas postcards again.  I don't know if there were any sent (possibly via neutral countries) in the intervening years.
The cancellation informs the reader that the telephone saves time and money.

3 comments:

  1. You'll need to educate me on why these were banned. I understand the time period but I'm not clear as to why these weren't allowed to be sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they were banned as such, just that there would be no post between Germany and England during WW2 (as far as I am aware), and it was only looking at some postcards sent after the war that I saw in 1949 the sender was writing it was the first year to send Xmas postcards again. Why it was 4 years after the end of the war, I don't know, maybe it was just personally for the sender. I have read that during WW1 communication was possible England to Germany and vice versa if the mail went via a neutral country (eg Switzerland), I presume you wrote to an address there and the letter would be re-mailed, but I don't know if that was still possible in WW2. Sorry if I was unclear in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not unclear. I just need to rethink the dates and that the War started earlier for England than the States. I was just wondering if Hitler had something against Christmas, like Stalin, then I got befuddled over Aryan vs. Communist and theology.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...