Friday, 30 December 2011

To wish you a Bright & Happy New Year . . .

My Dear Friend,
Just to wish you a Bright and Happy New Year & hope you will live to see many more, I hope you are well with love from us both from your loving & Aff Friend EmilySe

PS  Just got your nice letter and card I hope you have got my letter I sent you with love from your Friend Emily Sid

Sent from Oakland, California to Miss F Jones at Redhayes, Pinhal (I think this should be Pinhoe), Nr Exeter in December 1907.  As this date falls between census returns, then Miss F Jones proved to be elusive, in that she is not at that address in either 1901 or 1911.  Redhayes would appear to be a large house/estate.  Arthur Melville Hood Walrond and family lived at Redhayes in 1901 and there is also a connection with the family of Francis Marwood Hext who was High Sheriff of Devon in the 1930s.  So this might suggest that Miss Jones may well have been in service there, either that or she was a visitor, I thought that the 'hope you will live to see many more (New Years)' suggested an older lady .  The sender is maybe a friend who went to the USA, it's even difficult to make out her name.  I presume the photo is of her and her husband.
Redhayes and Pinhoe seem to have been swallowed up by Exeter and the only mention I find now of Redhayes is in connection with a bridge over the motorway and with a site for the Science Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...