Sunday, 26 February 2012

Sunday Stamps

For this week's free theme, I've chosen a couple of Egyptian stamps, both from 1959, which show buildings on Tahrir Square, which has been the focal point of any news reports coming out of Cairo for the last 13 months.
The first is an FDC for the Nile Hilton Hotel.  The hotel stands where the British Barracks once stood, the front of the hotel  looks onto the Nile and the Corniche Road, the back is onto Tahrir Square and just along from the Egyptian Museum.   I saw in some news pictures that the sign on the hotel has now changed, I think it might be the Nile Ritz Carlton now.
The next stamp is of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.  The stamp marked the centenary, though I don't think it had been 100 years in that location in 1959.

I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, you can find this week's entries by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

6 comments:

  1. I have not seen any Egyptian stamps for years. The musuem is an imposing building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame to think of all the negative associations with the square at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen Egyptian stamps except on the internet!
    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an unusual style for stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These stamps look more like mini postcards!
    I like their cancellation stamp, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any Egyptian stamps like these before that I remember. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...