Sunday, 11 March 2012

Sunday Stamps - women


For this week's theme 'women', I couldn't decide on just one stamp (having already posted my 'favourites', being the Marlene Dietrich and Eva Peron stamps), so today's post is a bit of an accumulation.

The first is a French FDC commemorating the centenary of the birth of Marie Curie, issued 21 October 1967.
I found I had a few USA stamps which featured women : 

Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937),  (wiki link) writer, reading the list of works on the wiki page, I don't think I have read any of her novels, but maybe I will now :), and I didn't know that the phrase, 'Keeping up with the Joneses' comes from her father's family.  There is a lovely cabinet card photo of her on the wiki page;

Elizabeth Blackwell (1821 - 1910), first woman physician (wiki link);

Blanche Stuart Scott, pioneer aviator, there is a great photo of her here.


Also some of the German stamps from the women in German history series (which required further googling):
Therese Giehse (1898 -1975) actress, wiki link;
Luise Henrietta von Oranien, wiki link;
Clara Schumann (1819 - 1896) composer and wife of Robert Schumann, wiki link;
Dorothea Erxleben, who was the first female doctor in Germany in 1754, wiki link.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, you can find this week's entries by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

6 comments:

  1. I thought I remembered the Marie Curie stamp, but I doubt it, if it was issued in 1967. There may have been another anniversary of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of a lot of these women. Marie Curie is the exception so I'm learning a lot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Bob, I am learning so much this week. Wonderful! thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is really neat that, so far, we have all come up with different women to celebrate. (though I have't seen everyone's posts yet....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these women I knew of - Curie, Blackwell and Wharton, but the otheres are new to me. This is a great way to learn about famous and inspirational women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice group. I noticed that your stamps also included a "first woman doctor" --this one from Germany.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...