Sunday, 15 April 2012

Sunday Stamps - poetry

For this week's theme of poetry, I have these Egyptian stamps issued in 1957 commemorating the 25th anniversary of the death of the Egyptian poets, Hafez Ibrahim and Ahmed Shawqi.


As you see above, the stamps were of the same value and se-tenant on the sheet, with the next row above being the opposite colours, ie. the green above the reddish colour, (the sheet as a whole would have a checked pattern).

The next scan is from an old album which I have, it has printed pages with descriptions in Arabic and French. The person who it belonged to originally took great care in cutting pieces of black card to the size of the stamp, covering the stamp with a protective clear plastic cover which is folded around the card, glued closed at the back and then stuck onto the page with a stamp hinge.


Regarding the poetry, I had a look around to see if I could find any of their works in English, but didn't find any (on the web).

I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, you can check out this week's entries by clicking on the icon below.

Thanks for visiting.

6 comments:

  1. The "poet of the Nile" is a great sobriquet, what a way to come into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stamps are beautiful - but I love the description of the album you have and the care with which the collector mounted their stamps. Sounds like a treasure of an album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your album must be beautiful, so meticulously put together. Odd that both poets should die in the same year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so bad; all I do is rip off a corner of the envelope with a nice stamp on it and stick it in a small box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Violet sky - I do the same thing. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to hear of the care that was taken with your stamps. All I did was waffle on about a presentation pack produced by the Royal Mail! What a pity we can't have a sample of their verse.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...