Saturday, 5 May 2012

POŜTKARTOJ (28)


The next two postcards in the album are in the same series as those posted last week but are even more melancholic.  At first I thought the mother and daughter were praying at a graveside, but I think it's a shrine and they are praying for the safe-keeping of their loved one who is away at sea.   I can only imagine what it would have been like to be waiting for mail from someone away in the war and how precious the correspondence would have been.  However I don't think I would have felt cheered up receiving postcards like this.   Probably it was better than no mail.   The sender was an Englishman serving in the Medical Corps, I think as a driver, and the cards were sent from Italy to England in 1943.


2 comments:

  1. In some of the older houses around here (the houses by the sea) there are perches up high, like a small deck, termed "widow walks" for when women would look out to sea to see if their man's ship was to be returning. Are they called that in the UK? I imagine in days before radio, phones or even telegraph it was a bad experience to have to cast one's eyes out to the horizon for news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of 'widow walks'. It must have been worrying.
    I think it would be a 'balcony' here, I don't know if they have a special name on houses near the coast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...