Sunday, 3 June 2012

Sunday Stamps

For this week's free choice theme, I've chosen the 1st 3 stamps issued by Egypt which commemorate the UNESCO Campaign for the Preservation of Nubian Monuments.  The first stamp was issued in December 1959, the second in November 1960, both show the rock temples at Abu Simbel. The Temples were relocated in 1968 to save them from disappearing under water in Lake Nasser, (wiki link).



The third stamp, issued in November 1961, depicts Philae Temple in Aswan.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, to visit this week's entries please click on the icon below.

Thanks for visiting.

10 comments:

  1. What a technical challenge to relocate Abu Simbel, they are an amazing structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stamps were a good way to publicize the campaign. It's good that they were able to relocate the temples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful temples and great stamps. A good choice for today. thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relocation of Abu Simbel was a great achievement; wonderful stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always fascinated by Temples. Interesting stamps and story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Abu Simbel could be the most awe-inspiring place I have ever visited - in fact I think it left more of an impression on me than the Pyramids, even. It is such a fascinating and amazing place. The stamps are cool - because of what they depict, but I don't know that I am that fond of the colours chosen for them. Nonetheless - fantastic choice of stamps to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would have been an incredibly massive challenge to move these. Ands so awe-inspiring to see.
    I have so few old stamps, that it is neat to see these ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely stamps! I dream of traveling to Egypt one day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...