Sunday, 10 June 2012

Sunday Stamps

For this week's theme of astronomy/science/scientists, the first stamp is a GB one and was issued in  September 1990, it depicts  Armagh Observatory, Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope and  La Palma Telescope.  This stamp was the lowest value in a set of 4, but I only have this one.


The next stamp was issued by Germany in 1993 and commemorates Paracelsus, (wiki link) who was a physician, botanist, alchemist, astrologer and occultist.  So I'm probably stretching the theme a little here, but I liked that it shows the planetary symbols used in astrology.


And finally this mini sheet was issued by Egypt in March 2006 and shows the total solar eclipse.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps,  to visit this week's entries please click on the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

7 comments:

  1. Wow what an eclipse stamp! So perfect for this week and the theme. Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that Wow! The solar eclipse stamp is amazing.
    I do have to wonder why Paracelcus looks so miserable?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stamp from Egypt is stunning, isn't it? I have the stamp card equivalent of the top one ... somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the image on the first stamp -- but the solar eclipse stamp is definitely the pick of the bunch; its stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stamp from Egypt is way too cool!!!!I like it!

    My Sunday Stamp entry -Willa @ Postage Journal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not seen the GB one, the co-operation of astronomy all squashed onto a stamp is a nice idea. The Egypt one of course is stunning, looks the perfect place to view an eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Egypt stamp eclipses the rest. I.m trying to work out how I missed the GB stamp.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...