Friday, 3 August 2012

Gogarth Abbey


This turned out to be another photo which thanks to a location name and date, took me on quite a journey,  but which at the end of the day didn’t really answer any questions.

Gogarth Abbey Hotel (Llandudno, Wales),was once the summer residence of Alice who was the inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’.  She was Alice Liddell, and her father had the house built in the 1860s. The family sold the house, it then became a hotel and presumably changed hands a number of times, (I found some newspaper reports regarding bankruptcy proceedings in the 1890s). 

The photo is dated 3 August 1917, 95 years ago today, and makes me think that it may have been used for a hospital or convalescent hospital for the wounded in World War 1, however I haven’t yet tracked down definitive proof of this.  Nor can I tell you any of the names of those in the photo.




What I did find is the following:
An article with photo from the North Wales Post 2008
A set of photos on flickr by [davidrobertsphotography]
A photo.


3 comments:

  1. Sadly, the Gogarth Abbey Hotel, a noble building on Llandudno's West Shore, and about three miles from where I live, was demolished in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill, as I was reading the articles I found online, I was hoping it would have been saved, but fearing that wouldn't be the case. What a terrible shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed the links; I think the hotel looked like quite an interesting landmark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...