Sunday, 23 September 2012

Sunday stamps - music


For this week's theme of 'music, literature and books', firstly an FDC from Egypt, issued in May 1985 to commemorate 50 years of the Faculty of Music Education.  The design reminds of one of the logos that you used to see on LPs.

Continuing with music, the next stamp is of Om Kalthoum who is probably the most famous and greatest Egyptian singer.    She rose to fame in the 1930s and is still very popular decades after her death in 1975.  She sings of love and longing and loss.  Her concerts were always sell-outs. There are whole performances to view on youtube, but here is just a short clip.  Here is the wiki link.



Click on the icon below to visit Viridian's Postcard Blog and check out this week's entries.

Thanks for visiting.


9 comments:

  1. I love the first day cover but I confess I've never heard of Om Kolsom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stamp on the FDC is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Om Kalthoum either but that isn't surprising in the UK. Like her stamp and the FDC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the music was not to my taste (and I tried also other videos) but I like the stamps. it is a nice clear one of her with her hair perfectly coiffed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely stamp with great graphics. You have shared a number of Egyptian stamps over the weeks. thank you for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stamps. The Egyptian singing sounds a lot different than American singing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Searched for Om on youtube...and her music sounds just as I had expected...reminds me a lot of Turkish music..it just has THAT recognizable oriental tone...not to my taste exactly, but doesnt sound bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right the logo does look like one from earlier decades. I always like the soaring strings on Egyptian music, Om Kalthoum provides some great dramatic contrast to them in her singing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...