Sunday, 16 September 2012

When the postman wore a fez . . . .


For this week's Sunday Stamps theme of all things connected with the post, I've chosen this Egyptian stamp for Express mail.  It shows a motorcycle messenger who would've delivered the express mail.  The cost of 20 mills covered the 5 mills regular postage plus an express fee of 15 mills.   The red 20 mills was issued in 1929 and could have been used until about 1940.

To check out more entries for this week's theme over at Viridian's Postcard Blog, you can click the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

10 comments:

  1. Very romantic to imagine having express mail delivered by motorbike. I wonder how that fez kept on. Great stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old-fashioned stamp designs lake that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a dog he has on the bike? Telegrams delivered by motorbike I've seen many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it, but I see what you mean. I think he has something on the front of the bike and then that something is being added to by something in the background :)

      Delete
  4. It's 2012 and our mailman here in the Phils just handed me my postcard for today few minutes ago and he was on a bike. I guess some things never change.
    My Sunday Stamp:Everything Postal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you could get an award for best blog title!! I love a fez- a bit of Arabian exotica wrapped up in old world charm. Fantastic stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great stamp. I'd love to have an enlarged version as a framed picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a great poster. There was a poster made of the airmail stamp - plane over the pyramids - and I just kick myself that I never bought one :(

      Delete
  7. Delightful, and exotic to our eyes.
    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...