Sunday, 14 October 2012

Sunday stamps


At first I didn't think I had anything for this week's theme of folk culture, then I remembered some FDCs and thought I may find something amongst them, and came up with this GB set of folklore issued 6 February 1981.  I now realise that the 14p would have been perfect for the Valentine theme.




The 18p shows Morris Dancers.


The 22p depicts Lammastide, the festival of the first wheat harvest of the year on the 1st August, you can read more about Lammas here on wiki.


The 25p features medieval mummers, actors who performed plays at harvest time and Christmas, here's the wiki link.  This one is my favourite of the designs.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, click on the icon below to check out this week's entries.

Thanks for visiting.

10 comments:

  1. I think the Mummers one is my favourite, too. Though Morris dancers are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the Lammastide stamp. I had never heard of that festival before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very special theme, treated as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One wonders what the medieval players were going to perform with their animal head masks. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the Mummers get my vote too! Very nice! :) and I do very much like that they are on a First Day Cover - two in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have shown the Morris Dancers before but hadn't seen the other stamps of the FDC. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i must admit i've never heard of the mummers before, great to learn something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is one of my favourite GB sets. Beautifully designed. I like that last cover.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...