Sunday, 11 November 2012

Sunday stamps

As today is Remembrance Day, I'm posting stamps with that in mind.
Firstly this was a special sheet issued by the Royal Mail in November 2007 entitled 'Letters from the Front' with a lovely poppy stamp and letters sent from three servicemen and one servicewoman during the First World War. 



This 3p stamp was issued in August of 1971 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Royal British Legion.  This was one value in the British Anniversaries set (of which there were several). The stamps shows the servicemen and a nurse dressed in the uniforms of 1921.



I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, you can check out this week's entries by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.


6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the letter linked to the stamps. I went to an exhibition a couple of years ago about the post office at war and its always the letter that spin you back to the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in the black fringe of the poppy is an outline of soldiers. at this historical distance I think many of us tend to forget the horrors and the losses of WWI.
    thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That special sheet from 2007 is one to treasure with Laurence Binyon's words round the edge.
    I have the British Legion stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the letters are one way to bring these service men and women to life, important as there are getting to be fewer and fewer of them alive still.
    this is an especially nice sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poppy stamp is just perfect - quietly horrific. A magnificent image. And the letter from Dolly is just so poignant. I am ashamed to admit that I skipped off to a music festival yesterday, and until I saw your post had forgotten that it was Remembrance Day. I didn't see the usual poppy sellers this year - I must have been in my own little world. Thanks for sharing and for reminding. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...