Sunday, 9 December 2012

Sunday stamps

For this week's Sunday Stamps #100, I've chosen this set of Egyptian stamps to commemorate the International Aviation Congress in Cairo.  They were issued on 20 December 1933.



The 13 and 15 mil values depict the Dornier "Do X" flying boat (wiki link here), the 20 mil depicts the Graf Zeppelin airship.  The Graf Zeppelin did actually land in Cairo in April 1931.  I would have loved to see a Graf Zeppelin flying, it must have been an amazing sight and even more amazing to travel on one.  Here's the wiki link.

I'm participating in Viridan's Sunday Stamps, visit this week's entries by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Those stamps are fantastic on many levels! The flying boat is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite my brother spending time in Egypt during WWII I have only a handful of stamps from there and none as splendid as these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love zeppelin stamps. This is a great set.
    Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the zeppelin (I also would have loved to fly in one....)
    and, new to me, that flying boat is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It surprised me that Egypt was the site of the International Aviation Congress. When I think of Egypt, I think of pyramids and politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you guys ever decide to go on a zeppelin, reserve me a seat please...id love to fly in one too!
    And the stamps are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think the flying boat epitomises the romance of travel, what a way to arrive and depart. The stamps are a nice evocation of travel in the 1930s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually been in a flying boat. I was around about two at the time so don't ask for details. And I hasten to add, it was a lot more recent than 1933.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...