Sunday, 27 January 2013

Sunday stamps


This stamp was issued by Egypt in 1972 and commemorates the 150th anniversary of Jean François Champollion, the French Egyptologist, (wiki link) deciphering Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in 1822.  He was able to do this thanks to there being three scripts, Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, Demotic script and Ancient Greek,  on the Rosetta Stone. 


The Rosetta Stone (wiki link) is in the British Museum and is one of those artefacts which Egypt would like returned.  When I last visited the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, they have a copy on display.  It would be nice if they could have the original.

I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, to check this week's free theme entries, just click on the icon below.

Thanks for visiting.

8 comments:

  1. that is a very cool stamp! I must say I admire those who are able to decipher hieroglyphs...it is like a whole new world only they are able to see and understand.
    thanks a lot for the post and for actually thinking of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greats. I like the three elements of the stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting stamp and a man unknown to me. There must be many artifacts in museums that will never be returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure Egyptian Museums are the best locations to store historical artefacts nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rob. It is probably better that the Egyptians have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats a good point, though when i visit the british museum i feel both awestruck and sad because of the way those great artefacts got there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember the name Champollion but I do remember being taught about the Rosetta stone at school. It's quite a problem, this business of returning things to the country of origin. Some museums and art galleries would be emptied if taken to the extreme and we could all become totally inward looking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...