Monday, 15 April 2013

a lighthouse


at present unidentified (now identified, see update below).  I think the photo dates from the 1930s (based on the other photos it is with), and the location is somewhere in the UK.  I have just been looking at lighthouses trying to identify it, but haven't found it yet.  I did wonder if it were the Lizard Lighthouse (seen from a different angle to the photo on the link), but I'm not 100% convinced.   If you know where it is, please leave a comment, thanks :).
And if you like lighthouses, and lighthouses on stamps, have a look at yesterday's Sunday stamps.

Edit -  thanks to Sheila, at a Postcard a Day, it's the lighthouse at South Foreland above the White Cliffs of Dover, in Kent.  Here's a link to the National Trust page.

6 comments:

  1. I recognise it! It's "my" local lighthouse - South Foreland - on top of the White Cliffs and now owned by the National Trust. I'm sorry to say I've never visited it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sheila :)
      It's wonderful when mystery locations on old photos can be solved, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. That's a small lighthouse. But then those White Cliffs are high enough so the light will be clearly visible from a large distance. In Holland these buildings are called lighttowers, since everything is low and plane so the lighthouses need to be high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you tracked it down. It does have that look of familiarity and before reading your update paragraph I was about to head off to Google to see if I could track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have grown up in a country which has not got any lighthouses. Despite or perhaps because of it I was fascinated by these towers and the stories about them.
    Cape Byron Light is an active lighthouse located at Cape Byron, New South Wales, Australia. The cape is the easternmost point of the mainland of Australia, located about 3 kilometres north east of the town of Byron Bay. It was opened in 1901 and automated in 1989.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet that is beautiful in color w/ that field of flowers leading up to the lighthouse. Wherever it is, it is a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...