Wednesday, 15 May 2013

107 years ago today . . .


"Our Dumb Friends' League" opened its first animal hospital in Victoria, London on 15 May 1906.  The organisation itself was founded on 10 May 1897, 'a society  for the encouragement of kindness to animals'. (wiki link here).

This postcard was published by Tucks presumably to publicise the work of the League and in particular the opening of the hospital.  It shows two trace horses, I wasn't familiar with the term 'trace horse' but it would appear to be a horse which was harnessed between 'traces' to pull a vehicle.   


Our Dumb Friends League continues today as the Blue Cross, the 'Blue Cross Fund' was the name of their campaign launched in 1912 to help horses affected by war.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I guess I never thought about bets that long ago. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few postcards of ODFL trace horses. Usually of large horses stationed at the bottom of a hill, there to help weary horses to pull their heavy loads up the hill. I had no idea they still continue as the Blue Cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard. I'd love to see a real photo postcard with the trace horses. When I was a child I always wanted to run a retirement home for horses, I watched a lot of 'Follyfoot' :)

      Delete
  3. "Our Dumb Friends' League" doesn't sound very animal friendly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, it doesn't, it's probably one of those names which is a 'product' of the era, although I think they were using 'dumb' to mean that they can't speak and not in the sense of meaning stupid.
      I think their hearts were in the right place to found such a charity.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...