Sunday, 2 June 2013

Sunday stamps

The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II took place on 2nd June 1953.  As today is the 60th anniversary, I decided to post this commemorative aerogramme air letter.  This one wasn't used until November that year.



Another Coronation Souvenir which must have been printed and bought in vast numbers is this postcard by Valentine's.  The reverse informs us that the prints were flown to Dundee on Coronation Day, and the postcards were on sale, by 11am on June 3rd.



I'm participating in Sunday stamps.
Thanks for visiting.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these. It is interesting to not how fast things moved in those days -it might be optimistic to expect such a turnover today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the franking messages from that era, that is one I've not seen before. They obviously had confidence that even with the wrong address it was going to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the postcard! I have a different one from this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky to have these coronation souvenirs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to see this as I believe there wasn't a separate stamp issued for this denomination only a similar design and deep grey-blue at 1/6d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about whether the 6d was a stamp too, thanks for that. Of the stamps, the 1/3 looks the best design (I'm just looking in the SG concise), I don't think I've seen that one.

      Delete
  6. I like the postcard. If the postcard souvenir was printed in large numbers, maybe I will look for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I tend to forget how young the queen was on her coronation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And they did it all before FedEx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that postcard! I like the design of those stamps and sometimes wish they'd do something similar again. Preferable to footballers in my eyes, but I'm probably in a minority there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the postcard/aerogramme and the events that commemorate it.

    Willa @ The Postage Journal: My Sunday Stamp#57

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...