Sunday, 30 June 2013

Sunday stamps

For today's free theme, I dipped into my Egyptian collection and have these 2 covers for the investiture of King Farouk on 29 July 1937.



Farouk was aged 16 when he became King in 1936, here's the wiki link if you'd like to read more about him.  As for this issue of stamps, two more values were later issued,  a yellow-green 6 mil in 1940, and a grey-violet 20 mil in 1944 (not shown).


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, clicking on the icon below will take you to this week's entries.
Thanks for visiting.

8 comments:

  1. This is the week for covers! Thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the old-fashioned stamps like those better than the new kind. I can't read the second cover, but I like the arrangement, colors, and markings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. Especially with Egypt in the news right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Farouk but not from 1937 as that was the year I was born! It's more likely that I became aware of him when he was forced to abdicate in 1952.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was an enthusiastic canceller of the second cover. Nice contrast between the two covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly can't possibly remember 1937 (honestly!) but the stamps look very familiar. Either they didn't change the format of the stamps for many years, or my father had the 1937 set in his collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe a king can unite Egypt, I read Farouk's son is stil alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read that King Farouk's son, King Ahmed Fuad, lives in Switzerland. There was a regency period when he was 'King' when he was a baby for some months after King Farouk went in exile, from 26 July 1952 until 18 June 1953, when the Republic was declared.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...