Sunday, 9 June 2013

Sunday stamps

For this week's theme of unusually shaped stamps, I have a couple of examples of printed stationery from Egypt.  The first envelope dates from 1889 and is the size of a carte de visite.  The design depicts the Sphinx and one of the Giza Pyramids.


The next one dates from about 1912/13 and is what I'd describe as a 'regular-sized' envelope for a letter.  In both cases the designs are embossed, this one depicts the Sphinx.  These designs only appeared on the printed stationery.


Next a couple of large stamps . . . one from 1979, showing the Temple of Ramses II at Aswan.


The next stamp shows President Anwar Sadat and in the background the Memorial to the Unknown Soldier in Cairo.  He was assassinated while watching a military parade on 6 October 1981 at the site of the monument, and it is the place where he was laid to rest.
(Unknown Soldier Memorial wiki link)



I'm particpating in Viridian's Sunday stamps - clicking on the icon will take you to more of this week's entries.
Thanks for visiting.

8 comments:

  1. oh wow thats quite a collection - i like the first one best as the shape is the most uncommon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the first embossed envelope. Obviously nice enough to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen embossed envelopes for many years. Fine Egyptian stamps - mine are boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about having a Sunday stamp theme be preprinted stamps or stationery. Would this work for most people, do you think?
    Thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if preprinted stamps/stationery are a 'regular' part of a collection. Do you find examples in postcrossing? I don't know. The items I have tend to be older. I suppose you don't know what people have in their collections until you ask :)

      Delete
  5. These are just amazing. Quite unusual indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the flower stamps, I haven't seen one myself. The embossed feature makes it special.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...