Sunday, 4 August 2013

Sunday stamps

For this week's free choice, I ended up with 3 'stamps'.
Firstly a cover from July 1966 with stamp and cancellation to match.   


The Post Office Tower stamp was issued for the opening of the Tower on 8 October 1965.   It was opened to the public on 16 May 1966, and this cancellation was on mail posted there from 19 May 1966 to 5 May 1968.  (From 6 May 1968 to 31 October 1971, the cancellation was transposed).  According to wiki, it was the tallest building in London from 1962 to 1980.  (wiki link here).


Secondly, the horse chestnut from 1974, which would have done very nicely last week, had I remembered where it was.


And finally, the case of the missing stamp, I got one of these this week . . .


. . .  as the postman said, 'They didn't even try'.  :)

I'm joining Viridian's Sunday Stamps, visit this week's entries by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.

11 comments:

  1. I prefer the other Tower of London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted at the tower is a great cancel to have. I think it is a pity they only did one tree stamps it would have been a nice theme. I'm intrigued by the JMC acronym on the postage to pay, I wonder what it stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Post Office Tower is really unusual. It's too bad it is no longer open to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked reading about that tall Post Office Tower. And this case of the missing stamp, I'm mailing an envelope this week with the Marine Biodiversity sheet that I posted on one of my Sunday Stamps entry and I'm scared it will get stolen while on transit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in this case the stamp was just 'forgotten' by the sender, not stolen, but I know what you mean :)

      Delete
  5. The Post Office Tower is really neat. Now that I know it was, but now isn't, open to the public I am unhappy :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So 50p postage due, and a 1.00 fee! Good heavens.
    Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember both those stamps. I like the Post Office Tower - it's listed now I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up FDCs for both the oak and the horse chestnut during the week - too late for last week Like the Tower stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. although i'd normally be upset about missing stamps i am also curious about different printed 'stamps'; matching cancellations are always a treat :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...