Sunday, 15 September 2013

Sunday stamps

Here's another set that I came across whilst looking for the 'post' theme a couple of weeks ago. This set showing medieval minarets was issued in 1971 for Post Day in Egypt.



The 55m shows the Al Hakim Mosque, which has the earliest surviving minarets in Cairo (wiki link).
The 20m shows the minaret of the mosque at Esna (which is in Upper Egypt, between Luxor and Aswan).


The 10m is the minaret of As Salih mosque, and the 5m the minaret of the al-Mansur Qalawun mosque (wiki link).

Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely stamps which would make great postcards too! :) I like the shade of green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Egyptian stamps are always high quality. Too bad about the situation there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I visited Morocco I've spotted a lot of minarets. Over there they are all square like the 5m stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them in Cairo, but I don't think I had really thought about how many different architectural styles there are.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...