Sunday, 3 November 2013

Sunday stamps

For this week's theme of Artic or Antarctic, I have 2 stamps - firstly this one issued by Norfolk Island
Norfolk Island, although part of the Commonwealth of Australia, has issued its own stamps since 1947.  It has actually had a post office since 1832. (wiki link).


Next a stamp from the USA issued in 1959, commemorating 50 years of Arctic exploration.



I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, clicking the icon below, will take you there.
Thanks for visiting.

7 comments:

  1. mmm, Norfolk Island! and it is pretty cool to see something else than bears and glaciers...really nice stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a map, what an explorer Cook was. I would never have expected a submarine on an arctic stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like the first stamp from Norfolk Island because of the unusual map.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first reaction was what was Norfolk Island's connection with the Arctic until I saw it was related to the voyages of Capt, Cook who, incidentally, was born within 15 miles of us. Had not seen either stamp before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read a bit about Cook, and I actually have a stamp and card from Norfolk Island, so I really appreciate your first stamp.
    thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect, this seems to be a fantastic theme to bring out some great stamps! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Norfolk Island is a long ways away from the Arctic, so I was wondering at first too, why? I like the perspective of the map they chose to illustrate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...