Sunday, 26 January 2014

Sunday stamps

One of the most magnificent landscapes I have seen, is that of the Giza Plateau with the Pyramids, so I've scanned some stamps with the pyramids for this week's theme.


The above are the oldest of the selection, with the  grey 5 piastre value being issued in 1879, and the green 2 mil values issued between 1888 and 1902.  The 5 piastre has a Fayum cancellation 1910, and the 2 mil is Alexandria 1909.
The next two stamps are from an airmail series issued in 1933, with a Handley Page HP42 over the pyramids.


The above 30 mil with a young King Farouk and the pyramids in the background was issued 1939 - 1945.
The next stamps are all airmail, the centre one dates from 1972, the first and third are from 1978 - 1985.
The Pyramid on the 115 mil is the Step Pyramid at Saqqara which is a short drive from Cairo.


Finally a cover showing 2 of the 1933 airmail stamps, I think this is my favourite of the pyramid stamps.



I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, clicking the icon below will take you there.
Thanks for visiting.

11 comments:

  1. Unique monuments to show on stamps. The colours of the last two are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 45m one of the view from above which gives the sense of scale. How marvelous to have seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you know I'm crazy about stamps from Egypt, and you still publish them again... :D
    I like the idea of putting a plane over the pyramids. It's somehow odd, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be wonderful to see with your own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you cant go wrong with the pyramids - awesome sight :) wish i could have seen them from that plane though..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And your first two stamps are quite old! How lovely to have them.
    Thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post of the pyramids. Clever to bring them into the landscape. My favorite is the cover, it's really great. Would love to see the pyramids myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pyramid stamps...very cool w/ the plane in the scene too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the airplanes on the stamps - though they look awfully big against to the pyramids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing to realize that those stamps are more than 100 years old!...
    Thank you for sharing!

    And what I never wondered about before, but thanks to Viridian's and your blog I'm starting to wonder what kind of stone would have been used to build these pyramids?!..
    It must be a sandy desert, so it's almost unbelievable that mankind has built these impressive monuments, and must have been moving such heavy stones - maybe on a long distance - so much time ago, even...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope to received those kind of stamp in the future. Getting something like that from Egypt is truly neat.
    My Sunday Stamp

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...