Sunday, 9 March 2014

Sunday stamps

Last week I had a stamp with Dr Theodor Bilharz, this week I'm staying with medicine for the theme of 'women on stamps', I have two stamps with nurses.  The first one was issued by Cuba in 1957 to remember Victoria Bru Sanchez (1876 - 1918), a nurse who died whilst fighting the influenza epidemic of 1918.  In 1924 the 3rd of June, the day of her birth, became 'Nurses' Day' in Cuba.


The next stamp is Polish and appears to be connected with nursing and children, though I don't know the specifics.

For more women on stamps, pop over to Viridian's Sunday stamps by clicking the icon below.
Thanks for visiting.


Edit: Not to be forgotten Florence Nightingale who made an appearance in the anniversaries set from 1970

12 comments:

  1. I forgot the nurses in my post... :D
    No: I haven't got any of your fabulous stamps, thanks for sharing. I always love your vintage stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice designs on both of those stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about an Iceland stamp with a nurse on it in my collection. I hadn't seen either of yours before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurses Day is a nice idea. The stamps reminded me of all the unusual frilly headgear they used to wear. At least the Polish one looks more practical than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It reminds me of florence Nightingale. I'm sure she must have had a stamp - surely she did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was in the anniversaries set in 1970, I've added a link to the fdc. I don't know if she has appeared more recently.

      Delete
  6. It makes one wonder if some of these remarkable women would be remembered if it weren’t for being depicted on stamps. You were quite right to highlight nurses here with these two interesting stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining in this week, with a most important profession.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, We certainly need to Highlight nurses for all the good they have done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to check on my stamps if I have any women in medical related field feature on it.
    Great selection.thank you for sharing.
    Willa @ Postage Journal: My Sunday Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice stamps! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful stamps, I've never seen before. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...