Sunday, 27 April 2014

Sunday stamps

For this week's theme I have the following royal children from my Egyptian stamps - firstly the stamp (one of a set of 4) issued in 1929 for the then Prince Farouk's birthday.


The stamp below shows Princess Ferial (the eldest daughter of King Farouk), the stamp with the overprint '1943' (also in Arabic) was re-issued for her 5th birthday.  The original stamp was issued in 1940 with a value of 5 mils plus a 5 mils donation to the Child Welfare Fund.


The next stamp is one of a set of 6 issued in 1946 for the Arab League Conference.  This value shows King Faisal II of Iraq (wiki link) who became King when he was 3 years old.  He was the last King of Iraq.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday stamps, clicking the icon below will take you there.
Thanks for visiting.

14 comments:

  1. Charming stamps for a quite turbulent future for the then children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, king at 3 years old, and sadly died young. Thanks for the wiki links - they are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Princess Ferial stamp is delightful. I have just one stamp of Farouk as an adult, so all these stamps are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting history represented on those stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting stamps, of some very privileged children. I wonder how happy their childhoods were. thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All Charming Sunday Stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the little princess is cute. I realize that I don't know about this part of the world, so appreciate what I've learned from your stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. King Faisal is a good looking prince on his day. :)

    Willa @ Postage Journal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting stamps, interesting history. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice and original stamps. I always like to see stamps from Arabic countries.
    I smiled when I read that "1943" is written "in English" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, you know what I mean, I suppose the difficult thing is that the numerals - 1,2, 3 etc are referred to as 'Arabic numerals', but they are not the numbers in Arabic.
      Perhaps I should have said the date is in 'French' as the stamp language is Arabic and French.
      I don't know :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's a bit difficult :)

      Delete
    3. I've edited that bit, I don't want to offend anyone, but it is tricky to know how to say it correctly :)

      Delete
    4. Sorry for giving you extra work! I don't think you offended anyone. But you found a right way to express it (as I wrote, it's difficult!).
      By the way, in Morocco these "Arabic" numbers are absolutely unknown.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...