Sunday, 28 September 2014

Sunday stamps

After an absence from 'Sunday Stamps', I'm back for this week's free theme with two stamps commemorating the centenary of Jean-François Champollion deciphering and translating the Egyptian hieroglyphics from the Rosetta stone in 1822. (wiki link).
The first stamp I have shown before, was issued by Egypt . . . 


. . . and the second stamp, which I recently found on a cover, was issued by France.


The French stamp also has an interesting (though not connected cancellation), SOS Amitié sounds like the French equivalent of the Samaritans here in the UK.


Clicking the icon below will take you to Viridian's Sunday Stamps.
Thanks for visiting.

7 comments:

  1. that was a great achievement worth celebrating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fine stamps depicting someone I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know the Rosetta Stone, but forget the name of the man who did the translation. Good to have a stamp for him.
    Thank you for contributing - I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have a commemoration of a superb piece of scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stamp with the Rosetta Stone is stunning. I wonder if there are more stamps with the same theme (I'm sure there are!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very different approaches to the same subject. I like the Egyptian one best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Wherever did he get the facility for learning so many languages?!!
    I'd not heard of him, either, though i am familiar with the Rosetta Stone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...