Sunday, 19 October 2014

Sunday stamps

For this week's theme of countrylife/harvest, I found these 2 Egyptian stamps from 1966 issued for 'Peasant's Day' (the wording on the stamp).  Anyhow I thought the illustrations on the stamps - onions and rice - fitted the theme.  A 5m value depicting the cotton crop completes the set (not shown here).



The cover they are on was sent to the DDR (East Germany) in 1966, and the sender went to some effort (I would think) to have such a fine array of commemorative stamps (rather than just the regular issues at that time).  The stamp above the onions is for the 7th Pan Arab Jamboree in Libya, then a stamp for medical care and a map of Sinai for the 'Development of Sinai', the latter two are part of the set issued in July 1966 to commemorate the 14th anniversary of the 1952 revolution.  The airmail envelope is also very decorative, Egypt always has very nice designs for airmail envelopes.


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, clicking the icon below will take you there.
Thanks for visiting.


10 comments:

  1. Wow, these stamps are gems! Of course they fit in the theme (more than my choice, I must say). Also the envelope is worth seeing, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a full envelope. One might excuse for the mail carrier if he had trouble finding the address ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the harvest stamps have the 'then and now' images on the bottom. I love that air mail envelope which makes such a decorative surround for the stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very appropriate stamps for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The airmail envelope is ideal for making an interesting display of stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very pretty cover! I never saw these Egyptian stamps. It looks really like a lot of effort. How do you got it? Was it send to you? I love it when a letter or a card has its own history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't sent to me, I bought some covers and it was amongst those.

      Delete
    2. How lucky that you found such a beautiful letter. :)

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've seen onions on a stamp before but they do make a great image!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...