Sunday, 26 October 2014

Sunday stamps

This week's theme of professions was more difficult to find than I expected, but once I started looking through some of my 'accumulation' of Egyptian stamps, I managed to find several that fit.
Firstly a stamp from 1970 depicting workers in the pharmaceutical industry, the stamp itself commemorating 30 years of the industry.


The next stamp featuring the cotton plant completes the set to the onions and rice stamps which I posted last week, and I thought would fit for agricultural workers.


Next a stamp from 1968 for the Veterinary Congress.  Not surprisingly Pharaonic-style art often features in the stamp designs.


From 1972 Social Work Day, the Eye of Horus is a good symbol to include  . . .


and then my favourite for this theme, which was issued in 1986 depicting workers holding books and tools for the 25th anniversary of the Workers' Cultural Association.  It's the design that appeals to me, it makes me think of the Bauhaus style of the 1920s and 1930s (not stamp design of that era but Bauhaus art).


I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday Stamps, clicking the icon below will take you there.
Thanks for visiting.

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting selection of stamp styles. I like the last one too, very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last one is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stamps, thank you for sharing, Lisa! I didn't know that 'UAR' was/is Egypt!? Very interesting and nice to see how ancient and modern Egypt are brought together in these beautiful tiny square pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, UAR (United Arab Republic) 'was' at first a 'Political Union' between Egypt and Syria, from 1958 - 1961 (I confess I looked on wiki for the dates), then Egypt continued using 'UAR' until 1971.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Republic
      Then Egypt has AR Egypt on the stamps - Arab Republic of Egypt.
      I like finding all this history on stamps :)

      Delete
  4. All of these are great additions to the theme!!! thank you for participating this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The veternary congress stamp would have been very appropriate for me this week.You have a wide collection of Egyptian stamps it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you about the Workers' Cultural Association stamp - great design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last one is perfect. I like the design a lot, and the colours. You found some very interesting stamps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...