Sunday, 14 December 2014

Sunday stamps


Art is such a good theme for stamps, so it wasn't difficult to find something for this week.  I chose the 1/6 value from the 1967 set of British Paintings, which is 'Children Coming out of School' by L S Lowry. (wiki link).  I remember Bob posting this set some time ago, and I hadn't been aware of the Lowry stamp at the time, so I was very pleased to go through an envelope with old stamps (pre-decimal) and find I had one.  It is probably the closest I will ever get to owning a Lowry :).

Next, I couldn't resist posting (even though it is much too recent to be normally included on my blog), this mini-sheet of London Underground posters, I think these came out in 2013.  I used this mini-sheet just a week or so ago and scanned it at the time.  I think these posters would have made very good stamps with one design per stamp rather than 3 on one as the posters are a bit too small like this.






I'm participating in Viridian's Sunday stamps, clicking the link below will take you there, and thanks to Viridian for running this challenge every week.
Thanks for visiting.


9 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the posters.I have received one of them on a postcard, and I considered the illustrations too small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had the Master Lambton painting by Sir Thomas Lawrence of that set with the Lowry. I'd settle for the stamp as I can only dream about the real thing.
    The Underground poster minisheet was among the first stamps issued in Jan 2013. I had not seen this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I entirely agree about the London Underground posters. They would have made lovely individual stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in agreement with everyone. Great graphics, but a bit too small. thank you for joining in all these weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't decide whether I like three posters per stamp or not. The stamps would be more attractive with one, but it is interesting to see the various styles together too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit I liked how they put the eras together on the stamps. These together with the underground stamps that complement them were one of my favourite sets that year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the combination interesting to (and by my myopia I maybe can see small things good enough, too..). Anyway, I love the collection you're showing today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Art pieces are always a favorite among the stamps for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...